Thursday, April 26, 2012

Chrome App Review: "Element"


I have started to experiment more and more with the google set of products, and I'm looking for new technology to bring to my classroom. My browser of choice has been Google Chrome for several years, but I have never really utilized it to its potential.

I decided to start exploring the chrome apps and extensions. There are several periodic table apps available in the chrome store, the one I chose to start with was "Element" from Tildev.

Here is a brief list of the features

  • Auto-scaling periodic table to take advantage of the space of your browser window
  • Fully searchable with real-time highlighting of matched elements 
  • Very quickly navigable with keyboard shortcuts for common actions 
  • Trend highlighting for all properties of elements with color-weighted trends
  • Visual orbital-filling representation
  • Quick links to Wikipedia for further element information
  • High contrast mode for increased readability 
  • Entirely offline: no analytics,no phoning home, no ads, loads quickly, and it's not just a portal to a web site
My favorite feature is the electron orbital notation. This clearly shows the electron placement for the exceptions like Copper and Chromium and the arrangement of the electrons in the f block. You can easily see why elements like Copper and Chromium have an unexpected arrangement of electrons because you see the completely drawn half and full shell arrangements. 

You can download the app at:





No comments:

Post a Comment