Monday, April 30, 2012

Molecular Workbench

If you are using the Modeling Curriculum in your classroom you may recognize the following message recently posted by Larry Dukerich on the listserve.

"I've visited the Concord Consortium site off and on in the past and found simulations of variable quality. But when I went there most recently,http://mw.concord.org/modeler/index.html - , I downloaded Molecular Workbench and from the Showcase screen, chose What determines a phase from States of Matter. This gave me a simulation that reminded me of an old simulation software program I liked called Atoms in Motion.  In this newer MW simulation you see a cluster of bound atoms in a box that you can view from a variety of angles. You can run the simulation under a variety of conditions because you can vary the interatomic attraction, atomic radius, atomic mass and temperature. I would think this could be very useful in Unit 2.
There are a variety of other simulations at the MW site, including one that shows electron clouds in covalent bonding and temperature and kinetic energy. I can't say the little lessons that accompany the simulations are all wonderful. but the visualization that the simulations provide can sure be helpful."

I recently visited the link to Molecular Workbench and downloaded the free software.  There are many simulations available over a variety of topics including:

Gas Laws
Fluid Mechanics
Properties of Materials
States of Matter
Phase Change
Heat Transfer
Chemical Bonding
Chemical Reactions
Structure-Function Relationships
The Genetic Code
Protein Synthesis
Light-Matter Interactions
Electron-Matter Interactions
Quantum Phenomena

Once you download the software click on the link "browse entire library" and you will see a list of all the simulations categorized by discipline.  I think States of Matter shows a lot of potential for the modeling curriculum.  Under the Physics category you will see a gas laws section.  I believe this one also shows promise.  In the coming weeks I will try and provide additional detail for specific simulations.

As I collect more and more of these web based activities/simulations I wonder if we need a separate page or at least topic in the moodle outline to house these resources.  

No comments:

Post a Comment